We came back! This month, we read Jacqueline Woodson’s Another Brooklyn and loved it. The book has been long-listed for a National Book Award in fiction and it’s well deserved. Join us for a conversation about the book’s beautiful descriptions of black girlhood and the joys of “sneaky writing.”
Have you read Another Brooklyn? Tweet us what you thought of the book at @blackchicklit.
Next month, we’ll read We Love You, Charlie Freeman by Kaitlyn Greenidge. If the completely split reviews on Amazon are to be believed, it’s going to be a great conversation.
- National Book Award Winners in Fiction
- Jacqueline Woodson’s ‘Another Brooklyn’ is a gauzy, lyrical fever dream of a book (best headline ever.)
Books mentioned in this episode:
- We the Animals, by Justin Torres
- Everything I Never Told You, by Celeste Ng
- Brown Girl Dreaming, by Jacqueline Woodson
- The Game Between Love and Death, by Martha Brockenbrough
- Outlander, by Diana Gabaldon
- On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft, by Stephen King
- An Untamed State, by Roxane Gay
- Bad Feminist, by Roxane Gay