Heads up: The word “bougie” comes up a lot in this episode. This month, we discuss British author Zadie Smith’s fifth release — Swing Time — complain about Audible and somehow finish up with an analysis of black female storylines in Disney movies.
Have you read Swing Time? Got a book you think we should check out? Tweet us at @blackchicklit.
- “Know Thyself? ‘Swing Time’ Says It’s Complicated,” NPR
- “Zadie Smith’s ‘Swing Time’ Explores Friends’ Diverging Paths,” The New York Times
- “Zadie Smith has another hit with ‘Swing Time’,” USA Today
Books mentioned in this episode:
- The Sellout, by Paul Beatty
- Americanah, Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
- Black Panther: A Nation Under Our Feet, Book 1 by Ta-Nehisi Coates
- It: A Novel, by Stephen King