This is our most scandalous episode yet. We discuss the month’s biggest controversies and OMG! moments, including #RITAsSoWhite, #BagelGate and Shangela.
Who exactly is RITA and what’s her problem? Why aren’t authors of color getting the shine they deserve? Why can’t the RWA just set fire to the whole award season? We try our best to answer these questions, but tbh, we don’t come away satisfied.
Here are some of the resources we mentioned during the episode:
- Bronwen Fleetwood’s PowerPoint presentation
- 20 Years of RITA Data
- @CherryAdair asking us all to wait to deal with racism so the finalists of this crooked contest can enjoy their day
- Screenshots of @CherryAdair using the term “lynch mob” and pretending not to know what it means
- @CatSebastian’s thread summarizing the RWA PAN forum
- @JenReadsRomance plot breakdown of Catherine Bybee’s racist book, Not Quite Crazy
Also, earlier this month, we asked y’all to share your unpopular book opinions. And, boy, did you deliver, bringing shade for a whole bunch of tropes, books and authors.
Thanks to all who answered this month’s chat! Be sure to read up for our next episode, My Sister, The Serial Killer, by Oyinkan Braithwaite.